St Margaret's Church
The Early Church
By 700 AD First Saxon Church built at at the side of the ancient road from Oxford via Crick and Lilbourne to Leicester and the North, on the site of the present chancel. The road was diverted to make room for the churchyard. Early churches of wood, later replaced by local stone.
Norman Church with Nave and Chancel built by Geoffrey de la Guerche, who granted the tithes to Monks Kirby for the monastery of Angers, Normandy
Walter de Camville probably made additions.
The Medieval Church
1200-20 Alaric Thomas de Astley married Camville heiress in 1209. He added S. Aisle (perhaps N. also) and Tower with early design (rare) of broach spire. Second diversion of the Oxford way to make space for the Tower.
Andrew de Astley raised height of S. Aisle & rebuilt N. Aisle
Nicholas de Astley re-faced Tower with pink Hartshill stone, renewed its windows and built a belfry on N. side with cinquefoil tracery
Sir Thomas de Astley rebuilt Chancel on a grand scale & flamboyant style, rebuilt most of the nave arcades & put new windows in N aisle and at E end of S Aisle incorporated a rose window.
Nave neight raised by a clerestory, probably with early round windows with carved corbel stones to support the roof.
Windows in clerestory replaced
Church restored and pewed throughout
Churchyard extended eastwards
Last Century Church
Floor relaid in Sancuary. Late 12th century Stone effigy discovered.
Gurney stoves installed
Pews removed from N. aisle to create a social area
New bell frame fitted and ring of six bells installed
Bells increased to eight
Full restoration of the Elliot organ
If you would like to know more about the building, the windows, the carvings etc. then click Great English Churches, Crick (Simon Jenkins)
St. Margaret of Antioch Information Sheets - much of which was funded by the Anstey family, click General Info
Stained Glass Information Sheet, click Stained Glass Info